Definitely, Virat Kohli is the sensation of the year 2016. His 235 at the Wankhede is just another example of how he has been elevating the game of cricket to new heights. And yet what makes him stand out apart from his adept hand on-field is a huge list of records and recognitions the young player has garnered in comparatively quite a short period. So even if Kohli does not need any introduction, there are still some facts that will leave you quite surprised. Read about them here:
- Kohli decided to play an important Ranji match in the year 2006, notwithstanding the fact that his father passed away on the same day. He went on to score a good 90 runs that were quite crucial for his team.
- Everyone calls him by his pet name Cheeku in the dressing room.
- Virat is the 4th cricketer to score a good 1000 runs for three consecutive calendar years in ODI after Sachin, Sourav Ganguly, and MS Dhoni respectively.
- He is the first Indian to score a century in his first World Cup match.
- Kohli had his first crush on the gorgeous Bollywood actress Karishma Kapoor.
- He is the third Indian to score two ODI centuries before his 22nd birthday. The other two cricketers are Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina respectively.
- Kohli is the only Indian cricketer to have been honored by Sir Vivian Richard’s remark that Kohli reminded him of himself.